Monday, April 10, 2006

pay attention

"Ohh my gosh, you scared me!" "I didn't realize you were there.."

Sound familiar?

I'm often thankful that a fruit of the spirit is "self-control."

I hear this from my roomate ALL THE TIME, and it's extremely frustrating. Hello, I live here! This isn't news to you! How about this, EXPECT me to be there when you turn around, and guess what, you won't be surprised. I've also had this happen to me while shopping. WAKE UP people, if your ever at a store, be assured that your NOT ALONE!

For the record, i've never once been "scared" by someone walking up to me. Why? you ask.. Why would you be alarmed by someone walking up to you, when you "expect" someone to be there. In other words, unless your at home on the toliet, with the door locked, ALWAYS expect someone to be behind you, or around the corner, it's just common sense. You live in a world with OTHER PEOPLE. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!

There are two kinds of people, the kind (like me) who realize we're not the center of the universe, and it doesn't revolve around us, and those that believe they are. If you believe your the center of the universe, then you believe everyone should be acting in a manner which suits you. That's why when you turn around and exclaim "OHH, you scared me!," your really saying, all space belongs to me, and you didn't get my permission to be there.

This response stems from pride. Pride is thinking oneself superior to all others, and it is displayed by our actions. Pride leads to destruction. (Proverbs 16:18)

In the bible, Jesus tells us that unless we come before Him with humility (willing to submit ourselves to Him) we will never enter heaven (Matthew 18:2-4)

In humbling ourselves before men, we will inherit eternal life. (Matthew 19:16-30)

Jesus tells us that in serving one another, we serve Him. (Matthew 25:31-46)

Jesus washed his diciples feet, even the man who would betray Him (Judas). He gave us the perfect example of serving in humility. (John 13:12-17)

This is just one example of how pride is the path toward destruction. Pride is one of the many deceptions the devil uses to lead us astray. When we stop leaning on our own understanding, and humble ourselves before God, He will work in us, and make us whole.

"Just as cars where made to run on gas, so we as mankind were made to run on Him." - CS Lewis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home